Daily workout
The problem
Reading the survey by The Times of India, 64 per cent of Indians don't exercise. Given the demographics — more than 50% of India's population is under 25, and over 65% under 35 — it's clear the major working-age population simply doesn't move. The work culture is getting worse year after year, quietly wearing down both health and personal life. I was born into one of the busiest corners of that culture: Mumbai.
School children in India lack physical health, fitness, and sports — there are thousands of articles on this already. Prime Minister Narendra Modi is now introducing Yoga into schools, colleges, and offices. It's a quiet irony that India is the birthplace of Yoga and meditation, yet Indians lack proper fitness, both mental and physical. India was once home to the world's largest vegetarian-eating population — but eating vegetarian isn't the same as eating well, when so much of that food is overcooked past its nutrients.
Where I started
I've always been a trekker and a hiker. The sports I actually enjoyed were chess and table tennis. I made sure to walk short distances and do 10 sun salutations every day, and to trim portion sizes rather than skip meals. I drank plenty of water. The gym was never my thing.
Moving to London
When I moved to the UK, I was struck by how people carved out at least an hour a day for a workout, and by the idea of colleagues going for a run together on their break — something I'd never encountered before. I was floored to discover I couldn't even run 2km. For a year, I wasn't mentally ready for any of it — I was still adjusting to the weather and to life in London.
What stuck
My workplace is in a WeWork building that hosts free Resetldn fitness classes, including Yoga, and I make sure to show up. Regular Yoga taught me I'm flexible but lack physical strength — no surprise, given I'd never been a gym person.
- Yoga, three times a week
- Parkrun, 5km, Saturdays
- Run to the office, ~6km, most other days
- Sundays: hibernate
I still don't run like a professional — that was never the point. Running makes me happier. A daily workout is a way of respecting my body and soul: it boosts confidence and builds a healthier posture. There are good runs and marathons happening across India throughout the year now. People just need a push, and the awareness that daily exercise is worth scheduling.

